Monday, January 27, 2014

An Owl in the Spotlight for Heart 2 Heart Challenge

It's the final challenge from Heart 2 Heart for the month of January.  Remember that all of their January challenges are still open, so you can play along with as many as you want until the end of the month.  This week's challenge is to use the spotlight technique.

There are a few variations of this technique, but the standard one is to a have an image where only a portion of the stamp is in the spotlight.  So you could potentially have a black and white image where only a circular portion is showing in color.

Now I started with one idea and it evolved into something completely different.  And I mean, completely!  Here is my design . . .



I had just received the Lollydoodle Card Kit which comes out in February.  I wanted to purchase the entire paper pack (the card kit only has one of those adorable double-sided papers) but I decided to buy the card kit because I was in love with the sentiment stamp . . . the one that shows behind my owl in the window.  Is that not the cutest sentiment.  I actually want to use it for a scrapbook page.  You'll see it in all it's glory further below.

I started with a flat card, and I ended with a window and a pop up inside the card.  How?  Who knows.  For that cover piece, I used a scallop square die to cut through my white and pink print layer. 


Inside the card, I created my popped layer.  I made this 1/2" smaller than my card base, and with the card folded, you cut two slits about an inch to an inch and a half long, an equal distance from each side of the card (I went 1 1/2 inches in from each side).  Then you just pop that center portion out in the other direction.  I used the scallop square that was cut from my white front panel for inside the card to place on top of my "pop" hinge, and I created the log/branch for the owl.  The owl was stamped on the reverse side of that pink pattern . . . which made his chest look really cool.  I added some google eyes to finish him off. 

Now check out that sentiment . . .


Shake to my bake?  Flip to my flop?  LOVE! 

Be sure to stop by and play along, using your CTMH stamps . . . or paper . . . or Cricut cartridges.  We'd love to see you. 


Supplies Used
CTMH Lollydoodle Card Kit (paper, stamps, rhinestones and seam binding)
CTMH Ink
Spellbinders Die
EK Success Circle Punch
Google Eyes (from my stash trinkets)

1 comment:

  1. Love your take on the spot light Challenge over at H2H Challenges. The owl is really cute. Fantastic pop out card. And I am sold on the card kit due to the stamp set that comes with it. Thanks for sharing.
    Stop by our H2H page when you get a chance. Sandra V.
    http://heart2heartchallenges.blogspot.com/p/h2h-scrapbooking.html

    ReplyDelete