Thursday, January 23, 2014

Myth-busting and Creating Color

Sometimes you need to create something that's just fun, and this is one that I've had my eye on a long, long time.  But of course, there is a story (I love a story) and this one must be told.  It includes my own version of Myth-busters. 

So I know this amazing, creative person . . . Queen Vanna (Queenie or Vanessa as I like to call her).  She is awesome and crafty, and she makes me smile.  She is spectacular in ways that I cannot explain.  A year or more ago she had a blog post on ice balloons . . . you can find that here.  I highly recommend you peruse it. 

So I had always though I might like to try this colorful, fun idea.  Let's face it . . . those are just fun. 

A few weeks back, there was this lengthy blog from a woman who provided pictures from and a link to Queenie's blog, and went on to explain the debacle that was her experience making "ice orbs" and you can find that here

I had already purchased my balloons and some gel food paste, and I was waiting for the temperature to cooperate when I read the "debacle post."  My stomach was a little tense . . . not that it's rocket science, but I was afraid I could fail.  I had doubts.  So I needed to become a Myth-buster.  Because Karen said you had to have a Martha Stewart gene (which I don't).  Sure, I'm crafty.  But Martha Stewart . . . NOT!  Not even close.  I could be her next charity case for help, but I'm no Martha Stewart.  The clutter in my house is a dead giveaway on that one.  

Well, I'm here to tell you that it can be done.  I was suspicious of my efforts, because I didn't have liquid food coloring . . . mine was gel and not behaving nicely with my water.  I could see the gel floating inside, acting as a miniature orb of color all on it's own.  So it required some effort (because of the gel factor). 

Now I'm not sure why I chose to do this project at 12:02 a.m. this morning.  I had to be up to work at 7:00 a.m.  But the dog wanted out, and when I put her out and felt the cold air, well from that moment on my brain could not disconnect from the idea that it had to be this day.  That moment! 

When I went to bed, this was on my deck . . .


Twelve hours later, this was at the base of my birdfeeder . . .


The birds are going to cover these with seed (among other "stuff") but I thought they would look nice at the base of the feeder.  


And a few hours ago before the sun went down . . . a new crop of ice balloons is in preparation. 


I will not lie . . . my fingers look like they've lost circulation.  They're not cold.  They're just blue.  But that's o.k.  Because I brought some color to a dreary winter. 

You do not have to have a Martha Stewart gene.  You just have to channel the Queen for a bit.





No comments:

Post a Comment